The TV experience used to be a magical one for hotelgoers. The UI and UX was leaps and bounds ahead of anything that cable companies were offering. Now, with so many advanced OTT and TV Everywhere solutions on the market, that is no longer the case.
To address this, DISH yesterday announced the launch of EVOLVE, a set-back box powered by Google’s Android TV that enables hotels to offer guests a combination of streaming apps, linear TV, and Chromecast.
“Today’s guest is used to a TV experience at home that combines their favorite streaming apps with linear, high-definition programming,” said Alistair Chatwin, director of DISH Business. “With EVOLVE and SMARTBOX, all hotel operators can now deliver the intuitive and streamlined entertainment that guests have come to expect at home, while reducing costs, increasing performance and saving space across their properties.”
Below, additional EVOLVE features:
- Google Play Store – An Android TV-based platform, EVOLVE gives guests access to thousands of Android TV applications from the Google Play Store, including music, movies and games.
- Chromecast built-in – Cast content from apps like Sling TV and YouTube, as well as music, photos and videos, from mobile devices to hotel room TVs without ever having to enter credentials.
- Advanced program guide – With an interactive program guide featuring genre filters and 23 hours of future programming data, EVOLVE improves the way guests discover, navigate and watch live TV in their hotel rooms.
- Channel preview – When in the program guide, hover over any title to view a pop-up window that displays live video from the channel. This allows guests to view exactly what’s on before selecting.
- Configuration tool – Customize EVOLVE’s UI with branding, welcome channels and pre-loaded apps.
- PMS integration – Provide guests with personalized messages on the home screen and automatically clear their personal information from EVOLVE as they check out.
- Bluetooth LE with audio support – Watch TV with Bluetooth headsets to eliminate disruptions when multiple people are staying in the same room.
- 4K capability – EVOLVE will continue providing guests with a premium television viewing experience as hotels deliver more 4K offerings.